How can we improve PostJoint?

Allow Keyword Based Anchors in the Author Bio

We should be allowed to place keyword based anchors in the author bio. This is a common requirement for SEO companies and not allowing this will result in many of them going elsewhere. If a blog owner does not want to publish an article containing it, they don't have to but we should at least be given the option.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Laura GinnLaura Ginn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Miguel SilvaMiguel Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree if you are talking about sponsored posts with NOFollow atribute only.

If you can't explain your clients why you shouldn't be doing that and that those actions will penalise them in the long run, you need to take a step back and rethink things. You are the SEO's not the client, so you need to explain them your strategy and why you are doing things one way or the other.

Another thing to explain your clients is that the Author Bio from an unknown writer means nothing to Google and is proven by correlation that Google stopped caring for Author Bios 2 years ago and now only looks at the titles, H1, H2 etc.

If Post Joint starts allowing Anchor text in the Author Bios and I see that the blogs have this, I'll my self quit Post Joint, as all your posts will be on penalised blogs and therefore hurting your rankings.

How about explain this to your clients?

• Miguel SilvaMiguel Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You shouldn't be using Author Bio in the first place and most certain not using anchor text in there. It'll be obvious for Google that you are paying for the post and therefore the entire blog will be penalised sooner or later.
    This should only be used for sponsored posts with NoFollow tag. All others posts should not even have editorial credits. SEO companies DO NOT want to use anchor text in the Author Bio as that will damage the entire blog and consequently their posts.
    Please read Google Guidelines and a few articles about this first.
    Cheers

• Laura GinnLaura Ginn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What if you can naturally include the anchor into the bio though? Those of us who run small SEO companies have to do what our clients ask and if we're not able to fulfil their needs we are having to use other sites. Quite often many of the blogs that are on here take our posts away from the site with anchor text in the bios - I'm struggling to see why you can't leave it up to the blogger.

Guest posting is always going to be something that is on the edge of what Google is happy with, I don't think banning anchor text bios is going to protect it in the long run.

• JJ COOPJJ COOP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd prefer it if keyword anchors in bio's stay banned. Its that type of spammy approach which is going to kill guest posting for good.

• Laura GinnLaura Ginn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah I totally understand the need to place links naturally in the text too but a number of the companies that I work for disagree. At the end of the day, it's them who pay me so I'm going to do whatever they want me to. I'm guessing there are a number of SEO companies on here with a similar problem.

MBG started enforcing rules like this a few months back and the SEO companies turned around and said they would leave. Whilst I don't want to do that (I love PJ on the whole), I won't have any option but to go elsewhere for some of my clients if this rule stays in place. And, like you say Shaun, I will probably still place them on the same blogs that use this website, I'll just be bypassing PJ.

Surely it is up to the webmaster of the blog to decide which posts they allow and which they don't.

• Shaun ThomasShaun Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree that we should have the option if we are paying for posts. I know that keyword anchors can eventually have a negative effect on your SEO, but I still have manu clients who demand them.

I have two posts suspended for keyword anchor texts and I have another more than ten that I need to place in the next two days. These will be placed on the same sites that make offers here, but I will need to do so without going through PostJoint. All it does is make me by-pass the system.

Feedback and Knowledge Base